This week it was announced that at the age of 96, after 70 years of carrying out royal engagements, Prince Philip is retiring. So we thought we would look back at some of his best and funniest gaffes;
1. "I declare this thing open, whatever it is." (on a visit to Canada in 1969).
2. "It looks like a tart's bedroom." (on seeing plans for the Duke and Duchess of York's house at Sunninghill Park in 1988)
3. "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to get them through the test?" (to a driving instructor in Oban, Scotland, during a 1995 walkabout).
4. "You are a woman, aren't you?"(In Kenya, in 1984, after accepting a small gift from a local woman).
5. "If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed." (to British students in China, during the 1986 state visit).
6. "Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands in 1994).
7. "You managed not to get eaten, then?" (suggesting to a student in 1998 who had been trekking in Papua New Guinea that tribes there were still cannibals).
8. "You're too fat to be an astronaut." (to 13-year-old Andrew Adams who told Philip he wanted to go into space. Salford, 2001).
9. "I wish he'd turn the microphone off." (muttered at the Royal Variety Performance as he watched Sir Elton John perform, 2001).
10. "Do you still throw spears at each other?" (In Australia in 2002 talking to a successful aborigine entrepreneur).
11. "There's a lot of your family in tonight." (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians in October 2009).
12. "Bits are beginning to drop off." (on approaching his 90th birthday, 2011)
13. "How many people have you knocked over this morning on that thing?" (meeting disabled David Miller who drives a mobility scooter at the Valentine Mansion in Redbridge in March 2012)
14. "I would get arrested if I unzipped that dress." (to 25-year-old council worker Hannah Jackson, who was wearing a dress with a zip running the length of its front, on a Jubilee visit to Bromley, Kent, in May 2012)
15. "The Philippines must be half empty as you're all here running the NHS." (on meeting a Filipino nurse at a Luton hospital in February 2013)
16. "(Children) go to school because their parents don't want them in the house." (prompting giggles from Malala Yousafzai, who survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban after campaigning for the right of girls to go to school without fear - October 2013)
17. "Just take the f***ing picture." (losing patience with an RAF photographer at events to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain - July 2015)
18. "If the man had succeeded in abducting Anne, she would have given him a hell of a time while in captivity." (On a gunman who tried to kidnap the Princess Royal in 1974).
19. "I hope he breaks his bloody neck." (when a photographer covering a royal visit to India fell out of a tree)
20. "When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." (on marriage).