Did you know…
1. Children in Need was first broadcast in 1980, when it was hosted by Terry Wogan, Sue Lawler, and Esther Rantzen. The inaugural event raised £1 million for charity.
2. The first ever Children in Need charity single was ‘Almost Seems (Too Late to Turn)’, performed by Clannad. It only made it to number 80 in the charts.
3. Children in Need mascot Pudsey bear was created in 1985 by BBC graphic designer Joanna Ball. Pudsey is named after Joanna’s home town in West Yorkshire.
4. In 2009 Pudsey introduced his new ‘best friend’ Blush Bear to the public. Blush, complete with pink cheeks and dotty bow, was designed by the charity to attract more corporate partners.
5. Since the first major appeal in 1980 BBC Children in Need has raised over £972 million to help make a difference to the lives of disadvantaged children and young people around the UK.